- Meet with the Director of Graduate Education (DOGE) about which courses to register for before classes are to begin or contact the DOGE via email and register for the recommended courses as soon as possible.
- Begin required core courses; the Graduate College suggests that students take nine credits.
- Meet faculty and learn about their teaching and research interests.
- During the semester consider one or more possible thesis/creative component ideas.
- International students who have not received graduate and/or undergraduate degrees from an English-speaking university must successfully complete the Graduate College English Exam.
- International students must always be registered for nine credits to meet full-time student status as stipulated by the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services.